Melanie Daniels V.N. DIP CABT Animal Behaviourist.
Welcome to my web pages. I am a COAPE (Centre Of Applied Pet Ethology) qualified Companion Animal Behaviourist covering Hereford, Ross-on-Wye, Abergavenny, Monmouth, Leominster, Worcester, and surrounding area. On occasions I am able to travel further afield. I assess and treat behavioural problems in cats and dogs and have over 10 years experience in this field. Combined with my earlier experience working in animal rescue, I am able to help you with a very wide range of cat and dog behaviour problems.
Dog and Cat Behaviour Problems.
The sort of problems I deal with include:
- General control and training problems such as pulling on the lead and recall.
- Phobias and fearful behaviours e.g. Fireworks and Thunder
- Aggression towards people or other animals
- Excessive barking
- Toileting problems
- Separation problems
- Marking / Spaying / Soiling
Each case I work on is unique and I work with you and your cat or dog giving you advice on how to modify your cat or dog’s behaviour during and after a behaviour consultation.
My behaviour consultations are fully covered by professional indemnity and public liability insurance.
One to One Behaviour Consultations
After making contact with me, we will discuss your cat or dog’s behaviour. Once I get an idea of the problem and how it is affecting your cat or dog and your family, we can make an appointment for a one to one behaviour consultation. This takes place in your own home so that I can assess your cat or dog in their normal environment. I will always be open and honest with you as to what I feel we can achieve during a behaviour consultation but there are no magic ‘quick fixes’. Most of my clients are referred to me from a Veterinary Surgeon who will examine your cat or dog before we meet, to ensure the problem isn’t caused by an underlying medical condition. I have worked as a Veterinary Nurse for over 10 years so I have a good understanding of potential underlying medical conditions and how they relate to behavioural problems. I do not use aversive methods of training such as water sprays or rattle tins:
Positive reinforcement training should increase the bonding between you and your dog, not destroy it which is what can happen with punishment based training.
After listening to feedback from so many people after a behaviour consultation who say that they “wished they had known what they know now” when their dog was a puppy, I have put together an easy to understand behaviour training consultation specifically for puppy owners. Get your puppy off to the best start and learn about the following:
- Puppy socialisation and habituation – to help your puppy grow into a confident, well balanced dog.
- Crate training – to help with toilet training and to teach your puppy to chew the appropriate things!
- Toilet training – helping your new puppy understand the appropriate place to toilet.
- Play biting – understanding what this is, why he needs to do this and how to interact with your puppy to teach him to have a softer bite.
- Jumping up – teaching your puppy an alternative way to greet you. Sit instead of jumping up!
- Educating you – to avoid behaviour problems as your puppy gets older. e.g. teaching him how to be left alone without getting distressed.
- Diet – how this can affect your puppy.
- Techniques – to prevent possessiveness with food and playing appropriately with toys.
- Recall – The first steps in teaching your puppy to want to come back when called.
A puppy consultation is a small investment that will give you the right information to have a well balanced, confident dog which will benefit you and your puppy for the rest of his life. If you are interested in a puppy consultation, please get in touch with me via the contact page.
Areas I cover
I am currently mostly working in Herefordshire and Shropshire, but sometimes go to Monmouth, Newport and Cardiff. For areas that are a long way from my home, I can sometimes still visit you, however I have to increase my charge slightly to cover the additional traveling costs.
Please contact me for further information.